7th Mar 2016
The Best Simple Pie Recipes
It’s British Pie Week here in the UK and everyone is going pastry mad for the delicious taste of a homemade pie. Pies can be a tricky food to tackle so here are our favourite simple pie recipes that you can make at home!
Easy Chicken Pie
1 small chicken
1 large carrot
1 bay leaf
Bunch of tarragon
2 tbsp's sweet sherry
100g bacon lardons
200ml single cream
Zest of 1 lemon
Ready to roll puff pastry sheets or block
1. Put the chicken in a large pan with roughly chopped carrot, onion, bay leaf, and a few sprigs of tarragon. Cover with water and then bring to the boil, making sure to skim any scum off the surface of the water. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
2. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Turn the heat up and reduce the stock by about three quarters – this should take around 20 minutes. Add the sherry, and season to taste. Once the chicken is cool, strip off the meat.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark four. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the bacon. Cook until golden, then scoop out of the pan and set aside. Add roughly chopped leeks to the pan and fry until silky, then turn the heat up and add the stock to the pan. Allow to bubble for a minute, then stir in the cream, lemon zest, cooked bacon and the leaves of the remaining tarragon. Season to taste, then stir in the stripped chicken meat. Pour the chicken and sauce into a large pie dish and allow to cool.
4. Whilst the mixture is cooling, lightly flour a work surface and shape your pastry dough into a rectangle and roll it out to three times its original length or the size you desire. Brush the rim of the pie dish with egg wash, then place the pastry on top, pressing down to seal. Crimp the edges if you like, then cut a small hole in the top and brush the whole lot with egg wash
5. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until the pastry rises and is golden!
Classic Apple Pie
125g soft unsalted butter
3 tbsp plain flour
125g caster sugar
125 soft light brown sugar
1 pinch of salt
2 tsp cinnamon
Ready to roll shortcrust pastry sheets or block
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas mark 6. Peel and core your apples then cut into 1cm thick slices. Toss the apples with the sugars and cinnamon and cover with clingfilm.
2. Divide the pastry in half and roll out one to line a shallow pie plate. Pile the apples into the pie dish, working in a circular motion.
3. Roll out remaining pastry and use to top the pie, using trimmings for decoration. Brush with water and dredge lightly with remaining sugar, bake for 20-25 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
What’s your favourite pie dish to make at home?comments powered by Disqus